GENEVA: The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) urged all countries on Thursday (Mar 12) to “double down” in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, speaking to diplomats in Geneva a day after characterizing COVID-19 as a pandemic, also said: “Describing this as a pandemic does not mean that countries should give up. The idea that countries should shift from containment to mitigation is wrong and dangerous.”
READ: ‘Situation in Singapore remains under control’: PM Lee’s COVID-19 address in full
READ: US to suspend all travel from Europe for 30 days to fight COVID-19 outbreak
He said that while maintaining a containment strategy, all countries must “strike a fine balance between protecting health, preventing economic and social disruption, and respecting human rights”, according to remarks made available by the agency.
The COVID-19 outbreak “is a controllable pandemic” if countries step up measures to tackle it, said Tedros.
“We are deeply concerned that some countries are not approaching this threat with the level of political commitment needed to control it.
More than 4,500 people have died, according to an AFP tally, while the WHO said around 125,000 cases had been reported from 118 countries and territories.
“To save lives we must reduce transmission,” Tedros insisted.
READ: Denmark shuts schools and universities after surge in COVID-19 cases
“That means finding and isolating as many cases as possible and quarantining their closest contacts,” he said, urging states to test every suspected case of COVID-19 in a bid to slow transmission.
“Even if you cannot stop transmission, you can slow it down and protect health facilities, old age homes and other vital areas – but only if you test all suspected cases.”
The majority of cases have been in China, where the outbreak emerged in December, but major hotspots have also emerged in South Korea, Iran and Italy.
Together, those four countries account for more than 90 percent of all reported cases, according to the WHO.
The pandemic has disrupted cultural and sporting events around the world as authorities try to prevent large gatherings.
Tedros said countries needed to find the right balance between protecting health and preventing social and economic disruption.
READ: Italy shuts stores across country to fight coronavirus
READ: Singapore faces ‘serious situation’, needs to plan for spike in COVID-19 cases – PM Lee
However, “containment” needed to remain the central pillar in any plan to tackle the spread, he said.
“You can’t fight a virus if you don’t know where it is. That means robust surveillance to find, isolate, test and treat every case, to break the chains of transmission.”
Tedros urged unaffected countries to prepare their health facilities, and pressed all states to innovate and share any new ways to prevent infections and minimise the impact of the outbreak.
More than US$440 million (390 million euros) has been pledged towards the WHO’s strategic preparedness and response plan, he added.